Friday, May 19, 2017

Blog 1

       
       I apply my immersion at PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority) Iloilo Provincial Office on April 24, 2017. I was entertained by Engr. Jerry Dolutan, the Assistant Statistics Officer in that office.  He introduced me to Mrs. Nelida Amolar, the Provincial Statistics Officer. Mrs. Amolar asked me about the purpose of my immersion and after explaining the nature of my immersion and what I want to achieved, she approved my application. She advised me that I have to start on May 2, 2017.
        
       On May 2, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. I reported for duty. As I enter the office, I saw Engr. Dolutan and approached him. He told me that there is an on-going training in Geo- tagging of Building Structures in the office and advised me to attend.

       
       The training was very informative and fruitful. I learned about the role of PSA in data collection, the overview of geo- tagging the building, the classification of buildings, the flow of geo- tagging and devices and software needed to perform geo-tagging. The PSA and its personnel are very accommodating. They even offered breakfast, snacks and lunch.


The picture was taken on May 2, 2017 during the seminar 
on geo-tagging of building structures.



I am taking down notes during the seminar.

         One of the information provided by the PSA Provincial Office is the monthly palay and corn production. In order to accomplish this, PSA administers three different surveys. The PCCS 1(Palay and Corn Survey), which is to gather first hand data from the farmers. The PCCS 2, which data comes from the rice and corn warehouse of private individuals and PCCS 3 from the NFA (National Food Authority) warehouse. The three different surveys will be consolidated and forms part the estimated rice and corn production within the month. The data of the three surveys are entered in an application program. The program can generate different statistical reports and send to the PSA central office.

        The survey questionnaire contains the same entries which are the current status of palay and corn production.

        On May 3, 2017, Mrs. Nelida Amolar advised me to accompany Mr. Stephen Araña, a Statistics Specialist II to observe how the PCCS 1 is administered. PSA has identified barangays in the province of Iloilo and being monitored by different Statistics Specialist. In the case of Mr. Araña, he is assigned in Guimbal and Tubungan. On this day we went to Brgy. Camanggahan, Guimbal, Iloilo. This barangays has seven (7) identified respondents. The respondents are chosen by the PSA central office using a stratified sampling. We depart from PSA office at 8:00 a.m. using the agency service vehicle. It took us 45 minutes to reach the destination barangay. The survey is done through an informal interview. Mr. Araña asked the farmer with questions and writes the answers in the survey form. Mr. Araña finished the survey at 11:30 a.m. We have our lunch at Oton, Iloilo and head back to the office. The same set of questions are asked to the farmers every visit. The PCCS 1 survey is done every first week of the Month. The consolidation of data happens in the second week of the Month when all of the results of the surveys are submitted


Mr. Stephen Araña is explaining the question items in the survey form.


I am taking down notes on the procedure of gathering data from one of the identified
respondent farmer of Brgy. Camanggahan, Guimbal, Iloilo.




A sample of the survey form of one of the respondents.

No comments: